Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis!"

I'm sure we all have heard that or have been told that at one time or another in our lives. I have been thinking about this a little bit lately, because I realized that I pop my knuckes a lot. I thank my Dad for introducing me to this habit when I was younger. I tried to think back and remember when I started do this, but I have always cracked my knuckles for as long as I can remember.

A few years ago, when I took anatomy or physiology, I don't remember which one, we learned a little bit about this. Studies show that this "bad" habit will NOT lead to arthritis! I loved learning that and being able to say "nu-uh!" when people would warn me about getting arthritis. I also learned that the loud pop comes from the release of synovial fluid(which lubricates your joints). Makes sense.


I find myself cracking my knuckles when I am bored. I do it without even realizing it. It drives my Mom crazy. I think I will continue with this annoying habit; and not get arthritis, thanks:)

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't this still stretch ligaments and incur some soft tissue damage? What if you crack your knuckles and then fall off a cliff and can't hold on because you were trying to annoy your mother? Is that really how you want to die?

    ReplyDelete
  2. studies have shown that it may lead to not being able to grip as tight. But another study was done and a scientist only cracked one hand his entire life, and they checked back up 40-50 years later and there were no difference between the two hands.

    ReplyDelete