Monday, October 4, 2010

Why don't I eat hot dogs?

Okay, so besides the fact that I threw them up when I was in like 5th grade, what else plays a role in this (easy) choice?


Hot dogs. An all American food? A must have at Costco or a baseball? Maybe. But not for me. I'll take a churro or nachos. I don't think I have had a hot dog since I was 10 or 11 years old. Taking microbiology back in 2007 finalized my decision to not eat them; not just because I thought I would throw up again from a bad experience, but because of what goes in them and how the animals are treated.

*Disclaimer: I know that every "cow,chicken,pig" farm is different. And not every hot dog necessarily falls under this category. No I don't eat red meat, pork, etc...but yes I eat chicken, and yes I am fully aware of the animal cruelty that goes on with them. That is a whole different post.*

Anyways, I'm sure you have heard that hot dogs are made up of the "left overs", snouts, bones, even their anus'. While sometimes that isn't true, sometimes it definitely is. Gross! They are mostly made of fillers, which is the left over meat of animals that they can not use(mostly meat that is directly attached to the bone). So you won't find thighs, breasts, legs, etc. in hot dogs. So they throw all that crap together, grind it up a little bit, add some seasonings and also sodium nitrite?! What the heck.


Sodium nitrite is a chemical commonly used for presevation and a color fixatative in meats(okay, the color of super market meat is a whooole different post as well).  This also is said to help prevent the growth of bacteria. Cool. It is also used in dying and bleaching fabrics, photography, in metal coatings, found in rubber chemicals, used in human and veterinary medicine, and is an antidote for cyanide poisoning.

 This chemical is found naturally in most vegetables, it is an important neurotransmitter. I think I will stick to getting it naturally through my veggies.

Studies show that when you get too much of this chemical it can lead to migranes and even be a factor in human cancers. I think they should find something else to put in food to make it look better and last longer than something so hazardous.

                                                     I'm barfing. Have a fabulous Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment