Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What makes your stomach growl?

Troy and I were talking about this the other day. Why does it make funny noises? Having taken anatomy/physio before I knew it had something to do with peristalsis, and I knew that chemicals were released and sent up to your brain to let your body know when you are hungry, but I wasn't exactly sure why.  
  After doing a little bit of research, I found out that this was just a result of this process(peristalsis, that is. Which simply are wave like contractions that move the food you eat down through your intestines). Because it is gases and air that push the food along, they sometimes are pushed together, resulting in sometimes loud, embarrassing noises. These noises are more frequent when you are hungry because there is more room in your insides, and nothing in there to surpress them.
  I found a perfect example of this on the internet. Think about a pair of shoes in the dryer. So noisy if they are in there by themselves, but if you put some clothes in there with them, not as loud. 
 Have I mentioned that the digestive system is my favorite system in the body? Weird, I know. But it is SO interesting.


Okay I'm thoroughly annoyed with this thing. It won't let me upload any pictures. I feel like it has been doing this a lot to me lately, what the heck.
  I was going to put a cool picture of the digestive system.
  A picture of London, which I happened to go to last weekend. Cool, right? One day when I have a decent amount of time to sit down and give it the proper blogging time, I will.
  Also, Tommy needs a hair cut. I put the back of his hair in a ponytail earlier today and took a photo of it...so funny. 


                                  Happy Hump Day!

P.S. I'm obviously experimenting with the blog thing still lol. I'm lame and haven't even figured out how to do a background yet. One day, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment